Skip to: top navigation » content » side navigation » footer
Translate bloginfo('name')

Temporary Registrations

How do I see a GP if I am a temporary resident in the Shelley Manor catchment are?

Patients who are not normally resident in our catchment area or are on holiday are treated as temporary residents and can be seen at our practice in an emergency. You will need to come into the surgery and complete a form with the following information.

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Your address in our catchment area
  • Your home address
  • Your usual Doctor’s name and Surgery address
  • How long you will be staying in the area


When you register you will also be asked to provide proof of identity such as a passport, driving licence or other forms of photo identification to our reception staff.

EU residents who are temporarily visiting another member state are entitled to receive any necessary treatment which their state of health requires during their stay, on the same terms as a resident of the country being visited. This includes on-going medical care for pre-existing conditions i.e. medication, blood tests and injections.

Bilateral healthcare agreements have more significance for hospital treatment than for primary medical care. However, in theory, as with all overseas patients, GP’s currently have discretion to accept patients from a country with a bilateral healthcare agreement as a temporary resident or include them on their list should they choose to do so. Equally, other than for emergency or immediately necessary treatment, they can offer to treat a patient privately on a fee-paying basis.

Some non-UK residents are not entitled to free medical care under the NHS.


Comments are closed.

NHS 111 NHS Choices Department of Health Healthcare Computing Ltd